Pinterest

Friday, February 3, 2017

Treasured Pieces



Happy Friday!
 
     I'm really looking forward to the weekend! We're traveling to New York tomorrow to visit the grandkids. My very favorite thing to do!!! This weekend is also Super Bowl Sunday. I'm sure Phil will watch the game while I read. The sound of the football game on T.V. actually puts me to sleep. Lol!!!

     Today I thought I'd talk about those special treasures that are passed down from one generation to another.

      Perhaps it's your Grandmother's or Mother's china or silver, or a piece of furniture, a painting or something as ordinary as a piece of cookware. Big or small, expensive or ordinary they are passed down because they are important. Whatever it is it was something that was loved and treasured and they trusted you to love it as they did. Many of these treasures are rich in history. But they are all rich in memories as they remind us of that special person that gave them to us.

     Yesterday I decided to change the centerpiece on the dining room table. I change the centerpiece often for the holidays and seasons. The townhouse is an open plan so the table is center stage.
I decided to use an ironstone soup tureen filled with greens. I thought it would be a nice winter touch for the room. This soup tureen was passed down to me from my Aunt Sara. She gave it to me when she moved into an apartment after my Uncle Jack passed away. I remember how this soup tureen sat on her dining room table for as long as I can remember. It was a gift from my Uncle Jack for a wedding anniversary. She treasured this beautiful antique.
     I was so touched that she would trust me with something that meant so much to her. I have taken good care of this gift through the past 10 years. It moved with us twice, but each time I hand carried it. I wouldn't trust the movers. It was way too important. 

    Yesterday I decided to take the tureen from the kitchen and give it a place of honor on the dining room table. I love the way it looks!! It makes me smile because I'm sure Aunt Sara would approve.

    Maybe you have some treasures passed down from a special person. Take them out of the closet, basement or attic and give them a place of honor in your home.
     Trust me they will make you smile!!
                                                                                                                     Sue

    

2 comments:

  1. This is a great idea, it looks beautiful & I loved reading the story about Aunt Sara!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! Every time I think of decorating I think of Aunt Sara!

      Delete